Saturday, March 26, 2011

Temptation

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV

This verse was in my daily devotional from LifeWay. Unfortunately, I just failed in a big way to avoid temptation. I just bought a big bag of M&Ms at the store. This may not be what you consider a sin but I know we are on such a tight budget (our income has been cut almost in half in the last few years) and that this was completely a want and not a need. And I still put them in my basket after deliberating on how bad it would be to go ahead and get them. M&Ms in and of themselves are not the problem. The temptation was buying something I knew I shouldn't. That money should go to something else.

And what makes it worse is that I ran into another friend who stopped to talk. One topic was the M&Ms. So, I had that voice of conscience (God) in my head while standing in the aisle before putting them in my basket and now I'm reminded about it again through conversation before going to the checkout. I had been given an escape, or help if you will, in building my self-control * and I didn't take it. Even knowing I would regret it later.

The notes in BibleGateway.com state that the Greek word for temptation can also mean testing. So, in essense, I just failed my test. I have been tempted, or tested, before and I know God came to my rescue. Of course the cost was considerably more than the bag of M&Ms. This time it was a digital camera. I was shopping in Costco and the camera I had been looking at was on sale. Not only was it on sale but our bank account was sitting with our income tax refund. I'm not sure how long I walked around that store trying to figure out it this was a test or a gift. In the end, as I was about to go put the camera in my basket, a friend I hadn't seen in ages stopped me, asked if I was done shopping and if so, we should go checkout and get some lunch in the foodcourt. I agreed and was saved from failing my test.

Both times, God presented me with the dilemma and each time, a friend appeared to either give me my answer or to remind me to rethink what I was about to do. I wish I had put the bag away but I didn't, even knowing I was committing a sin--- something God was telling me not to do.

I know this is a lesson and maybe I will heed God's voice in my head next time better than I did this time. Until then, my next dilemma is whether or not to eat the M&Ms. The money spent on gas to take them back to the store (40 miles) would be more than what the candy cost. So... to eat or not to eat, that is the question.

*2 Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment