Monday, March 21, 2011

Hearing His voice


Have you ever been told that someone heard God speak to them? Sometimes it is through a specific verse in the Bible and sometimes it is through a friend. Or it could be His voice directly to them, whether silently in their head or otherwise.

When you heard that person say God spoke to them, did you envy them? I do… every time. But I also identify with them.

I’ve had those kinds of revelations, myself. I’ve had Bible verses jump out at me as though they were written with me, and only me, in mind. I’ve had those Whisperings in my mind giving me the answer or encouragement I needed. And, I’ve known those were His voice. I so treasure those moments when He chose to speak to me so that I could recognize Him above all else.

I can’t emphasize how much I want that ALL THE TIME!

I guess my fear is that I’m not open to receive His voice as often as He wishes to speak directly to me. I admit that I have struggled as of late to focus and understand the Bible in my (mostly) daily readings. I long to read and discover something new! I get excited at that thought.

The Bible says we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16) that His Spirit dwells inside us (1 Corinthians 3:16) and that we are hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3).

The Bible also says God answers you even before you call out to Him. He hears you speak before you even utter a sound. (Isaiah 65:24) If this is so, then the fault of my not hearing Him is on me. I’m the disconnect. And even as I recognize this I don’t always know what to do. They say to quiet your mind and you will hear Him. This is difficult to do. I know God has spoken to me through my thoughts but I sometimes struggle to know whether or not it was my voice or His that I heard.

I have heard several times that if the devil can’t get to you through doubts in your faith, he’ll come at you with “stuff”; you will either have no quiet time in your mind or you will be so busy that you have no time for God. I believe this to be true.

I long to have a more direct relationship with Him. Compared to where I was in my walk with Him years ago, I have hope that I will continue to hear Him more and more and one day I will be able to stand before Him and my wish will be true. Until then, I will continue to treasure those moments when I have no doubt I’ve been spoken to.

2 comments:

  1. I think sometimes He speaks when we are not expecting Him to do so, and I also think that He speaks more plainly to those who do not specifically want or look for Him to speak, whatever their reason may be.
    When my best friend's deaf son was 11, he had surgery to install a cochlear implant. They were staying with me, as they lived in Odessa & the surgery was at UTSW in Dallas. His mother was agonizing over whether or not the implant would work, because if it didn't, there was no way to return to a hearing aid (for the little hearing they provided by that point, hence the need for the implant), and she worried that she'd consigned him to a world of silence after working so hard to help him be successful in the hearing world. He just looked at her and said "Mom, don't worry, God told me when I was a little kid that He made me deaf so you would stay alive, and He also told me that someday, something would happen so I wouldn't be deaf anymore, so it's going to be fine." Out of the mouths of babes... Nathan had been baptized, but hadn't spent much time at church or Sunday School, mostly because his mother was taught to fear God, but God spoke to the child, and the child remembered, and shared those words with his mother, giving her the comfort she needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete